Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Melting

"Sunshine cannot bleach the snow
Nor time unmake what poets know."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
After class today, a friend and I went for a long walk and talk along the river. It was in the 40's today, and the coat became unnecessary as we trudged through the melting snow! See! Bits of grass are showing through and the ice on the river is cracking!
I have thoroughly enjoyed the winter, but it is exciting to have more sunshine, see some ground, and even hear the first few birds chirping. A few days ago, we had the fluffiest snow imaginable. I hated to brush it off of my car and wanted to take pictures instead, but alas, I had to go to work. Even with signs of warm weather, we will probably get a few more snows before Narnia completely melts into spring. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain and snow! Here's how I feel about it:

"To appreciate the beauty
of a snow flake,
it is necessary to stand out in
the cold."




"I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree, or a yellow birch, or an old aquaintance among the pines." Henry David Thoreau
"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." John Ruskin

Note: only the first two photos are from today.

1 comment:

Sarah Blanshan said...

While I can appreciate the beauty and stillness and purity of snow, I must say I was beyond excited about the warmness and sunshine on my little jog outside today. I happily splashed in the puddles from the melting snow!