It seems that most of you have heard something of the bicycle story, but here it is in its entirity. It happened shortly before I opened this blog, but who wants to start a site with something negative, when mostly things are positive?
I bought a wonderful, new bike on the 19th of August. Nearly a week later, I rode it 12-15 miles on the trails around Rochester and along the river. For part of that, I scouted out the route to work. The bike was so comfortable that I wasn't even sore from it. On the 27th, I rode to work for the first time. It only took about 20 minutes, and most of the route is along a river. With the cool breeze against my face, I was praising the Lord and thanking Him for such a great way to start the day. I parked at work in the bike rack at 6:45am. I locked the front and back wheels together with the frame using my new key lock cable. All day, I was secretly looking foward to the refreshing ride home.
The day was long and hard because I was learning so much at once. One of my patients had a daughter that was
very demanding--enough said. The other patients were just great. The nurse I reported off to that evening was floating from another floor, and she was literally trying not to cry over some miscommunications, so I ended up giving her report a little late, listening to her, and providing some reassurance. All
that said, I got off around 7:50pm. On the way down to the bike rack I was thinking, "Let the bike still be there, please. I hope it's there." Funny though it seems, I almost expected it to be gone. It was.
I looked, walked away, and looked again about three times before going back to the floor and telling our secretary and one of the
nurses. Then we called security. They have the bike rack on
constant video and had just seen my bike stolen at 7:10pm! They gave me a ride over to the security office where I got to see the
footage for myself. The thief rode up on his bike, parked beside
mine, locked his up, hopped on mine, and rode away. They had a good view of him and his face as he looked around to make sure no one was watching. He must have either had a key that worked on my cable or had bolt cutters, because he rode it away with no hassle. Security told me to file a report with the police and gave me a ride home.
Two officers came over to my apartment to get the report that evening. There goes my dream of riding my bike to work. The chances of recovering it are fairly slim. At least I got to see the footage of it being stolen, which provided good closure:)
3 comments:
What a story! I sure hope you get another...and get to keep it.
i hate that about your bike not being with you anymore! thanks for writing on my blog...i went to brazil the summer after our sophomore year. i did travel to europe this summer though, as did you, correct? what did you think about that wonderful continent? i definitely could have stayed a year longer :)
that is so crazy that the guy had a bike but he took yours! did he just want upgrade or something!?! I hope you can get a new one sometime soon. Yes I really enjoy doing things that I didn't have time for while I was in school. it is strange though to not have homework!
Post a Comment