The weather up here is crisp and cool; it feels like fall! There was a touch of frost on the cars Wednesday morning. Today, I notice that the tree outside the window is beginning to turn yellow. An occasional leaf hesitates, jerks, then soars to the grass. It is damp and drizzly--a perfect time to sit, contemplate, remember.
The leaves bring to mind Aleen, one of the nursing home residents that I loved the most. We first met when my family and I took some baby chicks and geese into the nursing home to show to the residents. Aleen's daughter informed us that her mother loved chickens, so we should show them to her. Later, since I worked there as a nursing assistant, we got to spend many special moments together, both when I was at work and when I was just visiting. One day, in her quivery voice, she quoted this poem to me by Oliver Wendell Holmes:
The Last Leaf
I saw him once before,
As he passed by the door,
And again
The pavement stones resound,
As he totters o'er the ground
With his cane.
They say that in his prime,
Ere the pruning-knife of Time
Cut him down,
Not a better man was found
By the Crier on his round
Through the town.
But now he walks the streets,
And he looks at all he meets
Sad and wan,
And he shakes his feeble head,
That it seems as if he said,
"They are gone!"
The mossy marbles rest
On the lips that he has prest
In their bloom,
And the names he loved to hear
Have been carved for many a year
On the tomb.
My grandmamma has said--
Poor old lady, she is dead
Long ago--
That he had a Roman nose,
And his cheek was like a rose
In the snow;
But now his nose is thin,
And it rests upon his chin
Like a staff,
And a crook is in his back,
And a melancholy crack
In his laugh.
I know it is a sin
For me to sit and grin
At him here;
But the old three-cornered hat,
And the breeches, and all that,
Are so queer!
And if I should live to be
The last leaf upon the tree
In the spring,
Let them smile, as I do now,
At the old forsaken bough
Where I cling.
She then continued to explain that she was the last leaf of her family on the tree. Her parents, siblings, and husband were all dead. I loved to sit with Aleen to listen to her poems and stories. I still get an ache and a tear when I think of her here. I remember how she got confused near the end. She thought she was living years ago, did not know the other nurses, and did not trust anyone to help her in her agitation. I went into her room prepared to be rejected, but she knew me by name, and she TRUSTED me.
I loved Aleen. I cared for every resident of the nursing home, but she and I had an understanding and an openess between us that I have shared with few others. I had hoped to take my computer to her room to write down her stories and biography during the January term of my sophomore year of college. The way she related her life, I could have written things exactly as she worded them. However, shortly before finals just a couple of weeks before I would have gone home, Aleen passed away. I always regretted that I missed her funeral. I still miss her, but through her, I had a glimpse into a heart made beautiful through weathering many storms and heartaches with perserverance and courage. I keep a folder of her poetry, which I treasure. I was so priviledged to share in her later years as she was the last leaf still clinging to life yet still willing to share her life with me.
Well, this post went nowhere in the direction I intended! I guess the rest will just have to wait...
2 comments:
Congrats on making it through Orientation!
What a beautiful,beautiful picture you painted for us! Thanks! I think I shall refer back to this post when ever I begin to feel discouraged in my work at the nursing home. You're proof that quality time with someone affects someone so much! I ache when I see how many don't have family that visit them. Then I want to quit my job and just sit and visit with them.
oh, and in reference to your last post--I think #'s 11 and 13 would be exeptionally exciting. But after all, with God as your Guide, they all would be, right? Even the flight attendant ( : 16 would be the best though...(in my opinion)
O-: haha oops... me oh my the bloopers I make on these blogs... 15 or 16... yeah, I meant 15. :D
Post a Comment