Friday, December 29, 2006
Bittersweet
Saying goodbye to patients can be bittersweet. The last several days I have had the same patients. Two of them have been in the hospital for months, but I got to work on discharge issues for each of them and even see one off to rehab. The one I discharged today was the main contributer to one of my worst days at work a couple of months ago. The last few days have been a pleasure working with him. The other gave me a hug yesterday once I got home health care set up. But the one I really want to tell about is another. He has been here for a few days, and I have been his nurse for the morning shift every single one of those days. Today, when I told him goodbye, he kept getting teary eyed. It's rewarding but also sad when my patients get so attached. That has happened with several patients lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How bittersweet can it get? :\
Well, I'm still planning to go home anyway, if that's what you're wondering:)
I went to bed at 9:40pm and received a phone call from the airport at 12:27am informing me that my flight to Minneapolis is cancelled, so I need to leave here even earlier to get bussed there. Now I can't go back to sleep. If I can just get to sleep, I've got two more hours to enjoy my cozy bed...
I wish I had not missed you while you were home! I thought you were going to be in Texas longer. We need to catch up!
Have a great day! Take care!
Lauree Beth
Post a Comment