Working around the holiday is interesting. On Friday, I ended up working four hours on a trauma orthopedics floor and four hours in pediatrics. It made for a busy but fun day as I worked somewhere other than my floor for the first time. Today was busy with patient care and teaching along with new doctor orders all of the time.
I keep laughing every time I think of one couple. Teaching the husband to do the dressing change on his wife was hilarious! Knowing that he had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease like his wife, I was expecting someone feeble and on oxygen. Instead, I was greated by an energetic roll your sleeves up and dive in sort of man! The biggest problem we had with the dressing change was when he cracked his wife up laughing and we had to stop until she recovered. By the way, that was not a bad problem, because it was a painful procedure. Then, in the end, I got to have a demonstration of how he can growl! After the dressing change, he asked me if I would consider going into teaching. Things like this make me happy:)
It is a bit hard to know that all of my family is home without me right now. Yesterday they met with Mama's side of the family and today was with Daddy's family. Three of my cousins are there with babies that I have yet to meet. At the same time, the opportunity to spend it with the people who are in the hospital is a blessing, because most of them want to be there less than I do. Knowing that I will get to fly home, Lord willing, in less than a week sure helps!!!
"A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart." ~Johann Wolfgang Van Gothe
4 comments:
Its always fun to hear about the work your doing! I was especially glad to learn about your opportunity on the pediatric floor as I think you would be especially well suited for working with children…did you enjoy it?
Not having you here was hard for us too…but it will make it all the more special when you come. Right???
Bro. Daniel
:) See you soon! (:
Do you hear laughter very often in a hospital? I guess you wouldn't necessarily expect to... I hardly ever hear the residents laugh at the nursing home. Its kind of depressing...but it makes cute stories like the humourous go-getter of a husband, quite cheering.
I bet you did GREAT working in pediatrics!
Looking forward to seeing. Miss you! I was thinking about this the other day--I can't believe you've been there only a few months! It seems like years!
Actually, we laugh quite a lot at the hospital! One of the patients I had for the last two days had quite an extended family, who thought you had to have a big laugh out of everything! I was a bit overwhelmed when there were 8 or 9 of them in the room at once. A few of them took it upon themselves to see how much they could embarrass me.
I guess it all depends on the patient. You just have to sense if they are the type that can joke or laugh or not. I tease some of them that they can skip one round of breathing exercises if they laugh!
I don't know why everyone thinks I would be good at pediatrics. I used to get that when I worked at the nursing home too...hmmm. I always thought I worked better with older people. I didn't get to be in peds long enough to find out if I'm suited for it or not. I do love kids, though. When I see them I just wish we could play! I don't know many kids here, though.
Post a Comment