Friday, May 11, 2007

Mother's Day

At the grocery store, I was chatting with the checkout ladies. As I walked away, one of them hollered out "Happy Mother's Day!" It caught me off guard; my little snort laugh was not exactly the appropriate response! Well, Mother's Day isn't for me yet, so my thoughts turned to my own wonderful mother.Today a friend of mine through the Elder Network went with me on a drive to Lake City, which is on Lake Pepin, a widened part of the Mississippi River. We went to a tea room there for lunch, which was FULL of two groups of women, a Red Hat club and a bus group from Rochester. It was good for Bev to get out and experience life beyond the gossip of her senior living apartment building. We talked about many things, including Bev's childhood. Her mother died when she was 5 months old. During her childhood, she was mostly seen as a burden to her grandparents, father, and other family members who helped raise her.

I am thankful that I have a mother. Mama and Daddy make me and my brothers and sisters feel loved and wanted. Mama rarely lectures to teach a lesson. Most of the things I have learned from her are from the way she lives. She is always careful to respect Daddy. She cares for her parents. She cooks, cleans, gardens, teaches, and works on the farm. Mama lives one of the most unselfish lives of anyone that I know. I have a lot to live up to. Thank you, Mama!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN - to everything you said, Amy! We are blessed with a wonderful mom!

heidi @ ggip said...

A lovely tribute to your mom. Tea rooms are so much fun also.

Anonymous said...

I must agree that your mom is amazing. I still sometimes have random memories from the weekend I spent at your house. Next time you talk to your family, you can tell them hello for me! Love you!