Come, Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me ever to adore Thee;
May I still Thy goodness prove;
While the hope of endless glory
Fills my heart with joy and love.
Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.
O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Never let me wander from Thee,
Never leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
9 comments:
This is just about my most favorite hymn ever! I love it, I love it, I love it!
oh my word AMY!!! I was thinking of posting that song! I'm not kidding! ( : its one of my many favorites. The very last sentence is so meaningful to me and it seems everytime I sing the song I rededicate my heart to God and asking Him to take full control over an area that I've taken upon myself. I'm so glad you posted it. Can't wait to see you in December or January!
I'm so glad you all enjoy that hymn too! It came to me at a much needed time when we sang it at Ben and Tandalee's church yesterday. It has some wonderful thoughts about grace in it, which is something occupying my thoughts.
Carrie, Daddy used to read to us about the stories behind hymns, but I don't remember this one. Do you know what inspired it?
That is a VERY good hymn. The story of the hymnwriter reminds me of Sheffy's story. Have any of you all seen that movie? Sheffy became a circuit preacher and evangelist.
Thanks, Carrie! I love stories like that!
I haven't heard of Sheffy, Jolynn. Is the movie called "Sheffy's Story?"
Truly inspirational. Whoever teaches that such works are out of date for the modern Christian is surely mistaken.
Sorry. That sounds more like a New York Times book review than a blog posting:)
No, Amy. The movie is just called "Sheffy". Or maybe it's spelled "Sheffey". I can't remember for sure. We still have it borrowed from someone. Maybe your family can come over and see it while your here some Sunday.
Amy, I love this hymn. When I read it in your blog, I just had to sing it then in there in my empty house. Did I mention I love it?
Post a Comment