Just before going on the world religions tour in Chicago, my path crossed with a Muslim woman here in Rochester. She was very open about her life as a Somalian refugee and Muslim, so we talked a lot a couple of different days. The second day, I asked her where I might find a scarf to cover my head because I needed one for the Sikh place on the tour. She said that she had many and would give me one. I insisted that she need not, so she told me where to buy them. Before I left, she said that she really wanted to give me one. So a few days later, I found myself in her bedroom in her apartment going through shawls. She taught me how to put it on the way the Somalian women do. We sat and talked again as I learned more about her life and faith.Starting out talking to her, I knew very little about Islam. It was so interesting getting to hear about it from a woman who grew up in it and went to Islamic school for four years in Somalia and memorized the Koran one and a half times. Through that, the world religion tour, and reading part of a book called Voices Behind the Veil, I feel like I know a bit more about my Muslim neighbors. I am still reading and learning, but I won't launch into everything I have learned, or this post would be longer than the world religion one:)
After the world religion tour, the biggest thing that stuck out to me between all religions and Christianity is the concept of grace, which is through Jesus Christ. I have just started reading a wonderful book, What's So Amazing about Grace by Philip Yancey that Ben loaned me. The other place I am reading about grace is the Bible. It's amazing! Truly humbling.
4 comments:
Hey Amy
That's my favorite book. Tell me what you think.
Hi. I happened upon your site while searching for this Yancey book. The funny thing that is making me comment is that I'm also reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran" so I'm thinking about Grace (mostly) but also thinking about Muslims. That is very interesting that you find that Grace is what puts Christianity apart from other religions. I think I heard that somewhere else as well, recently. I'm blogging all about the implications of the Yancey book and the Ragamuffin Gospel, so stop by if you have any more thoughts! Good luck in your pursuits!
Heidi
Something I've realized when visiting with my muslim friend, was that the major element of faith was pretty much missing altogether. She apparently believes what she says about allah, but she doesn't believe the miraculous things about Jesus' life. It just didn't make sense to her. For her to believe, it had to make "logical" sense.(don't ask me what is "logical" about the muslim beliefs, but this is the way she came across) But then as I read your thought about grace, I realized that it does go deeper than faith. Without grace, why would there be reason to believe? Wherein would our hope lie?
That is so exciting about the head scarf! Isn't God's timing incredible?
You make that scarf look very lovely.:) If it didn't indicate a belief contrary to mine I think I would like to wear one of those all the time. I enjoy reading about your interactions with muslim women. Keep clueing us in!
Post a Comment