That's right, it's question time again! I'm looking for thoughtful answers to this question. I have been thinking about it from time to time all year and even more recently as I have considered various work options. On August 7th, I celebrated my first year of working full-time by...working!Working is something all of us do in one form or another, so no one is exempt from thinking about this. I've asked friends, coworkers, patients, even strangers. Now I'm asking you!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It does not seem to be true that work necessarily needs to be unpleasant. It may always have to be hard, or at least harder than doing nothing at all. But there is ample evidence that work can be enjoyable, and that indeed, it is often the most enjoyable part of life."
(The real question is: am I in trouble for posting this picture of Mama and Daddy?)
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play; his labour and his leisure; his mind and his body; his education and his recreation. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both."
Francois Auguste Rene Chateaubriand
4 comments:
And yes, I WILL answer my own question...
When I worked as a chemist, I was not necessarily "fulfilled" by my work. I found it challenging and sometimes fun. I really enjoyed working with and learning from my coworkers and I knew I was good at my job.
What I didn't like was that the sole purpose of my job was to help my company make money. There were lesser purposes of improving products, etc.
But what I like about being a mom is that my sole purpose in this work is to raise a godly child into independence. This purpose just seems so much more important.
I'm interested in the other answers you get.
Well, I don't think this question really applies to me, because I don't really have a vocation at the time. But I really appreciated Heidi's thoughts on hers. Thats a great testimony!
I suppose if you can consider school to be work than I would say the most satisfying "something" is that its always great to learn something new and watch for ways to apply it to real life.
Love you!
1) Perhaps the single most satisfying thing for me is when I am able to connect well with people and do something extra to show my patients or coworkers that I care about him/her in particular. Those special little conversations can mean so much.
2) Another thing I love is when I am able to do an extra good job at something, such as solve a problem or come up with something to help someone's treatment.
3) Learning something new and being able to share it is another one.
4) Using Spanish can make my day!
Post a Comment