After that last post about purpose, I didn't stop thinking about it. At a church that I visited on Sunday, the pastor shared some thoughts that fit right in with purpose. He shared mostly out of Philippians 1, but the part that sums it up the best is the first part of verse 21: "For me to live is Christ."
Goals outside of Christ might give us enough to keep going, but all of them can be taken away in a moment. Christ and His love is the only thing that sickness or catastrophe cannot take away.
"For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39
Goals on this earth are still needed, but lived without the Lord in the midst they are empty.
2 comments:
Good thoughts. They reminded me of a passage that spoke to me this morning, about my purpose.
"If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above and not the things that are on earth.
For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory."
Colossions 3:1-4 (NASB)
The last verse is such a precious promise if I will only realize that Christ IS my life, and I need to keep fervently seeking HIM and not my own desires (or purposes that would only further my own pleasure). Thanks for helping us focus on those important things, Amy! I miss you. Love, Kaylene
The pastor used that verse too! The beginning of Colossians 3 has always been about my favorite passage of scripture!
Post a Comment