Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Challenge

The challenge: think of something for which I am thankful AND write it down every day.

On paper, I would look like the most blessed person with a life as near perfect as is possible. I have gotten nearly everything I could want in life: my family, friends, degree, job, residence, salvation. What more could I want? Why then am I not more thankful? Why do I complain in my heart under a façade of happiness? I've often pursued challenge and hard work, but deep down, I want a comfortable life. That's not the right focus, because an easy life doesn't lead to growth or happiness.

I just had a most thought provoking talk with a friend who encouraged me to write down special experiences. By thinking about and writing them down, my focus might turn more towards God and others than self. It's easy to think of the big things mentioned above, but what about the many small joys God drops in my lap each day? It might just be a look from a patient, a kind word from a coworker, the encouragment of a companion, a ray of sunshine. Pick up a pen and paper and write it down. It will do me good to review these from time to time and continue to find purpose in everyday life. I know this sounds very Pollyannaish, but Pollyanna had some things right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thought. As for me, I'm glad that I got to see you while you were home! Thanks again. Jenny