Wouldn't it be interesting if we could go back in time to an era when the concept of time was different? There was a time, believe it or not, when there were no beeping alarm clocks or watches. How did people do shift work, such as those who watched for enemies during the night from the city walls? When it was time for the next person to take over, did he just spontaneously wake up and show up at work? Did people with jobs just wake up at the right time when the city started to become active so they could go start work? How did they know when to go home, when to have meals prepared, when to go out and farm? After a particularly fatiguing day, did they sometimes sleep too long? Did they plan to meet someone when the sun was overhead or at the evening meal? Imagine what kind of chaos would ensue if we proclaimed a national day of timelessness--no watches, alarm clocks, computer clocks, cell phone clocks, car clocks, or sundials allowed. Well, I guess that's not possible, so just count how many times you look at a time machine in a 24 hours period. Wait, that's not possible either.
Well, my watch is ticking and my alarm clock is set...
4 comments:
I think I might like it for a little change. ???
Right. I thought about how some of the Latin Amarican countries do experience time much differently. Some people have a really hard time adjusting because they are so glued to the clock and efficiency. I have been able to just let time be what it naturally is a few times when I was in those cultures, but I still had my watch and alarm...
I think that would be awesome to live in a time without all of the technology we have today! Yeah, I like the other way countries do it better, its more relaxed and you just show up when you want to! One of these days I want to get a cabin up in Colorado in the mountains somewhere and be able to just get away from everything for a while and maybe spend the summers up there!
You should read Prophetic Untimeliness by Os Guiness. It talks about this among other things. I really like it and Rakel liked it so much she bought it for her dad.
Post a Comment