Friday, March 30, 2007

Late Night Ramblings

I like nursing. No, I LOVE it!!! I thought you would want to know:)

Maybe I should share that I am about to bounce off the walls right now too. Don't ask me why; I don't know. I feel like I could stay up all night like I did a couple of nights ago when I worked a double shift (3pm to 8am). Maybe it's because I've been going strong for hours and just haven't stopped. Some days, like today, a call light went off every time I sat down to document, so I had to stay way late doing computer charting. However, my satisfaction in work comes from giving that human touch to my patients, making them comfortable, chatting with them a moment, or helping another nurse that is overwhelmed. If I am satisfied with my work, I don't care if I have to stay an hour late to chart.

Another thing that gets me fired up is when I see something that should be done better. Example: A person, particularly elderly, can develop a stage 2 pressure ulcer in just one shift if he/she is not kept clean and turned. I've seen this happen more than once. Sometimes it is so hard to provide proper care, but seeing this makes me want to teach and improve care. I've seen hospice patients go from being all hagard to looking so comfortable and peaceful after my friend, Rosetta, gave a bed bath and positioned them comfortably. Some day, after I get more experience, maybe I'll end up back in geriatrics or hospice...

Now I'm beginning to yawn. Maybe that means it's time to go to bed.

2 comments:

Kaylene said...

Don'tcha love those call lights? One of the residents at the nursing home where I worked, was infamous for constantly being on his call light in the evening. Often times you would go in there and he wouldn't say anything, or even respond to your questions. he'd just stare up at you. More than once, I started walking out of the room, rolling my eyes, bothered that he would make me walk all the way down the hall for nothing. The resident passed away this week.I've been thinking about it... What if every time I had to walk down there "unnecessarily", I had taken the time to ask him about himself. In his obituary, I learned he was in the Navy and sailed on the USS Colorado. Now what would it have meant to him, if I had given him oppurtunity to tell me that? He wasn't the most communicable person, but still. I could have made more of an effort...

I'm not sure how much more experience you would need to go back and work in geriatrics or hospice. It doesn't take "extra" brains, but it does take heart...which you have plenty of. I don't know. Maybe its just the CNA that doesn't take brains. (: Oh by the way! I passed my skills and written exam yesterday. What was I saying about brains? It was probably one of the easiest tests I've ever taken in my life. Anyways, mucho relief and thankfulness to have finally taken it.

Well, maybe, for the length of this comment, I should have sent an e-mail. (; Very glad life is going good and that you LOVE nursing! (: ttyl!

Anonymous said...

No wonder nursing is so difficult, it has a mental toll as well as a physical toll.

Keep up the good work!