Friday, August 17, 2007

McGregor's Garden

Here's my new house that I rent with some other girls! I didn't know how much I would love being in a house rather than an apartment!
We call it
"McGregor's Garden" after the couple we rent from. They live at L'Abri and bought it as a retirement home for a few years down the road. Until then, we get to enjoy this lovely, old house which is only a few blocks from the hospital where I work.In the "Secret Garden" are a couple of plots where I'm thinking of raising some herbs.
Here's a glimpse of the living room complete with a fireplace! I've never lived in a house with a fireplace, and what better place than Minnesota to have one!








Just off the kitchen is a little window seat area. Not pictured is the large unfinished basement with a washer and dryer and lots of storage space.
The kitchen even has a dishwasher. Imagine how spoiled I am going to get with a fireplace, washer, dryer, and a dishwasher! For now I am staying in a little room, which is great except there is only a tiny closet with hardly room for even my few summer clothes. Later in August or September, I'll probably move up to the large upstairs room. There will be room for a few people to sleep on the floor should I have visitors:-). It is also rather quiet, so it will be easier to sleep in the day if I work some night shifts. That was a bit difficult today with the sound of children saying, "A one, a two, a three!" They were trying to hula-hoop on the wooden floor in the living room! It was actually fun to hear the sound of happy children in the house, but I worked a double shift again then remembered that I have agreed to go out to breakfast with my friend, Bev. She then needed to get some groceries, so I got to be at 11:30am. I slept 4 hours, getting up two or three times as well.

I saw staffing problems like I've never seen before at work last night. I was scheduled to work from 3-11:30pm. Some time around 10pm, the charge nurse asked me if I would stay overnight. She wanted me to stay bad enough that she said I could do whatever I wanted to...have an assignment, fly on the floor (to help all of the other nurses), or be in a 1:1 with a confused patient. I chose to fly. Around 11:15pm, there was still no nurse to take most of my patients or my coworker's patients. She went to the front desk to ask about the next nurse. The charge nurse said there was no replacement. She had called all of our staff and was unable to get anyone. Basically, she could give the other nurses way too many patients, or we could stay, which is what we did. There were critical issues going on with three of the patients and another couple of unexpected things, so it was interesting.

3 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

What a LOVELY house! I love the gardens and all the arches in the house. No wonder you like it there!

I hope your staffing issues calm down soon. My neighbor is a nurse and she works all the time.

Kaylene said...

Oh! I love the window seat! It seems like such a romantic house. The cute name makes me think of England and Beatrix Potter. :-)I'm so happy for you, and hope you will enjoy living there.
You amaze me, Amy! You're such a hard worker! God has given you an amazing gift and strength to be doing the job and working the hours you do.
Love you!

Amy said...

Thanks, Kaylene and Heidi! I love the place! The girls here like English sorts of things, like serving tea. The couple we rent from actually lived in England for about 10 years! Just to set things strait, I really don't work that much...32-40 hours per week. They just end up being weird hours sometimes.