Saturday, December 08, 2007

Pain

According to Mayo Clinic, this is a myth: Pain is good for you. It builds strength and character.
What do you think?

4 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Yes I think it is a myth. Pain may be part of life though. The one saying about pain that I can relate to is that some people say that they are glad they feel pain because then they at least know they are alive.

Kaylene said...

I think it can be good if you let it be. Some people respond to pain in bitter anger. Others learn to bear it, and depend on God for their strength. If we think of it as a refining fire and not a curse, I think it will undoubtedly build character.

Now would someone please remind me of that, when I'm in pain? :)

Tegid said...

Tribulation works patience, and sets in motion a chain of other godly results. (Rom 5:3-5)

Obedience can be learned by things suffered; this was even so for Jesus. (Heb 5:8)

All things can work together for good, if a person satisfies a few conditions. (Rom 8:28)

That said, pain is not what is to be embraced or sought. Godly character comes from abiding in God and He in you. He is the one to be embraced and sought. And He will use the instrumentalities of His choice.

Kaylene said...

I heartily agree with above commenter, that it is not the pain itself that should be sought after or embraced, but rather the Lord, Who uses things like pain as instruments.

Great question Amy! I'm enjoying thinking about it and the discussion.